background

Tuesday 8 March 2011

Gluten free Cheese scone Recipe.

Of late, we have been having homemade soups for lunch on Sundays. Preferring our roast in the evening.
This week we had Golden Ham & Vegetable.  To accompany, I made some cracking (if I say so myself) cheese scones.  I have always had trouble with gluten free scones. My regular ones are usually just as scones should be, but the GF ones end up more like rock cakes no matter what I try. So for the benefit of any other struggling gluten free cooks and myself when I cannot remember what the heck I did, i am going to share my recipe.  I am sorry but I don't do grams at home so its ounces.

8oz  Glutafin Select Multipurpose Mix  (this is the one I have used and will update if it works with another)
1 teaspoon xantham gum
2 teaspoons Baking powder
pinch salt  (omit this if you only have salted butter)
pinch cayenne pepper
2oz unsalted butter
About half a 284ml tub buttermilk
Approx 2ox grated mature cheddar cheese.

1. Sift flour, xantham, baking powder, salt and cayenne.
2. Rub in the butter until breadcrumb like.
3.Gently mix in the cheese, leaving a little for the tops.
Now carefully add enough buttermilk to make a soft but not too sticky dough. Knead a little until smoothish.
When baking normal scones it is ill advised to knead the dough very much as it makes the dough tight, but the gluten free mix does benefit from a little kneading.
4. I personally never use a rolling pin for scones. At this point, I gently press out to about 3 quarters of an inch thick and cut out with cutters.
5. Now pop on a baking sheet  (I love silicone for this as it never sticks). Glaze the top with  a light coat of the buttermilk and then sprinkle with a little cheese for a nice cheesey crust.
6. Bake at 200 degrees  centigrade for about 15 mins until risen (hopefully this wasn't a one off or I will look daft) and browned.

Let me know if you try it. I am going to see if this principle works on fruit ones this week, so watch this space.

1 comment:

  1. yum yum yum, they look fab. i've only tried making GF scones once. I had a bit of whole grain mustard in and totally overdid it eliminating all cheese flavour! doh!

    ReplyDelete