background

Thursday 26 January 2012

A Good Cake Book to tell you about and its gluten free

I am a bit of a sucker for both books and cakes and was delighted to recieve this book from my daughter for Christmas. I had put it on my wishlist as I was quite interested in the health factor or if, given all the recipes contain some "vegetables". Yes, I havent gone mad, I did say vegetables.  Things such as sweet potato, pumpkin and carrot to name but a few. What I hadnt realised was that all the recipes used rice flour, so perfect for me on my gluten free diet.  I have never let wheat flour in a recipe stop me and can usually adapt, but these have been intended that way and so far, work perfectly.
 Whilst looking through this book, my husband declared it sounded awful and certainly wasnt going to eat anything from that book. Well, he tells me he never reads my blog so we will find out because I am going to tell you, he has eaten enthusiastically 2 cakes made from these recipes. He hasnt a clue they contain non conventional ingredients and I am not going to tell him. Because its good for him. If he knew, he would refuse to try them so just goes to prove how good the recipes are. 
The first was Coffee & Walnut Courage Cake, here it is before we nommed it.
 Next, I tried "Beach and a Blanket Fruit Cake"
Now it has to be said, it should have cherries and blanched almonds as well as raisins, but I didnt have any. In line with the authors approval of maverick behaviour, I had to substitute butternut squash with sweet potato, but it still was the yummiest thing I have made for ages and the raisins did not sink!!!! If you cook gluten free, you will know how impossible this is.

Now , are you intruiged? Yes? Good. The book is called "Red Velvet Chocolate Heartache" and is written by Harry Eastwood.



The above link is for the lovely glam hardback which I have. Also available to pre-order in paperback, but I have to say the difference in price makes the hardback by far nicer.  Next on my "to bake" list is the Red Velvet Cake with, you guessed it, beetroot!!!!. Will keep you posted. Also, lets see if my hubby does sneak a read and refuses to eat cake ever again on the grounds I definitely cant be trusted. If he doesnt, my secret is safe. Also, brother-in-law, if you tell on me I shall never speak to you again. You know who you are.

2 comments:

  1. Oh this book looks lovely...thank you for posting about it! Just found your lovely blog...your little bunnies are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like such a lovely book Joy..I am definitely interested and agree that the hard backs are always so much nicer...So funny about hubby...will be interesting to see how this progresses!
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete